Before entering into a Tenancy Agreement, it is strongly recommended that Landlords have prospective Tenants referenced by a reputable agency such as ‘Letting a Property’. Tenant referencing is arguably one of the most important aspects of letting a property and aside from when properties are let in Scotland, Tenant referencing is a cost that the Tenant is responsible for - not the Landlord.
Every private Landlord association supports Tenant referencing and most banks require Tenants to be referenced as a condition to a buy to let mortgage. As a minimum, Tenant referencing should include an employment reference, a credit check, a previous landlord reference and a bank check. Landlords are also encouraged to obtain proof of identity from the Tenant such as a passport and utility bill dated within the last 3 months.
Our Tenant referencing check provides Landlords with all of the above information which will allow a more informed decision to be made as to the suitability of the prospective Tenant.
Who should buy this product?
This Tenant referencing product if only for Landlords that are not advertising a property with us or wish to pay the charge for referencing themselves. If you are advertising a property with us, the cost of referencing is payable by the Tenant - please complete this form to instruct us to reference your Tenant.
What checks are included?
- Income Validation - This is where our experienced referencing team will assess the likelihood that the salary matches the type of employment i.e. a nurse is unlikely going to be on £100,000 per year. Any anomalies would be investigated.
- Affordability Calculation - The tenant salary should be in the region of 30 times the monthly rent. This is a set calculation used to ascertain the tenants affordability taking into account other expenses associated with cost of living expenses.
- Voters Roll check - The tenant is checked against the voters register for all addresses supplied within the last 6 years.
- Public information check - for CCJs, Bankruptcy and voluntary arrangements
- Fraud Potential - Based on the information supplied by the tenant as well as the background checks, the tenant will be issues a fraud potential score.
- Confirmation of declared income - where the Tenant is employed, self-employed or retired, their income will be validated by contacting either the employer or accountant in the case of self-employment.
- Previous landlord is contacted to establish whether there were payment issues or if any dilapidation was recorded.