Landlord Fined for Neglecting Gas Safety Regulations

The landlords of a Southampton property have been fined after a mother and daughter were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Brothers Robert and David Watts were each fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £4,500 worth of costs apiece after being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

When inspectors visited the house after Motoko Riley and daughter Emily were found to be suffering from severe carbon monoxide poisoning, the levels of gas in the air were off the scale.

HSE inspector Ray Kelly said landlords need to understand their responsibilities regarding gas safety.

“It is only by sheer good fortune that this incident did not happen at night, or the consequences could have been far worse,” he commented.

Gas engineer David MacDonald was also fined £4,500 after he wrongly said the property’s boiler was safe on three occasions.

Landlords are required to ensure that all gas appliances in their properties are safe by having them regularly inspected by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you’ve not done so already – order your gas safety certificate online.

About Jonathan Daines

After having worked as a high street letting agent for over 5 years, I believed there was a better way of helping landlords find tenants without the unnecessary expenses. And so in 2008, lettingaproperty.com was born and has since let over 8,000 properties across the country. I am very proud of the service levels we offer and to have achieved a 99.3% recommendation rate on reviewcentre.com. If you have any questions about our business, please do let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.